Champ Cow/Calf Pair: Michael
Delaney with JDH MS P606 Boomer 20R/heifer calf by TWC Red Obsidian M326 412R.
Champ Bull: Travis Williamson
with SPH 514 Recruit 20U by KJ Recruit 966R DOB 2/17/2008.
Champ Bred & Owned Heifer: Joe
Brandt with BRNT Robin 23T sired by Four Gold Strike 1127, born 3/8/2007.
Grand Champion Heifer: Kelsey
Repenning with TH Moler Dominette 93T born 2/16/07 sired by BR Moler ET.
Champion Senior Showman:
2008 SD Jr. Hereford Field Day Rules
1. Cattle must have approved health certificates.
2. Entry forms must be postmarked by June 10 in order to avoid paying late fees.
3. Registration certificates must accompany all animals at check-in. Tattoos must be readable or the subject animal will be disqualified. Baby calves entered in classes other than cow/calf pair must have registration papers.
4. Exhibitors must be paid members of the SDJHA.
5. Heifers and bulls must have been born after September 1, 2006 to compete.
6. Steers must have been born in 2007, have a steer certificate from the AHA, and have Hereford markings and color.
§ Steers and Owned Heifers must be owned by the junior exhibitor or the exhibitor’s immediate family.
§ Bred and Owned Heifers must be bred and owned by the junior exhibitor as specified on the registration certificate.
§ Bulls must be bred by the junior exhibitor or the exhibitor’s immediate family, and the exhibitor or family must retain an ownership interest.
§ Cow-Calf Pairs: the cow must be owned by the junior exhibitor or the exhibitor’s immediate family 30 days prior to the show. The cow must be registered; the calf need not be registered unless it is entered in heifer or bull classes.
8. Showmanship classes will be divided into age brackets as follows: Peewee 7-10; Junior 11-13; Senior 14-21. Age is as of January 1, 2008.
9. The heifer, bull, and cow/calf classes will be no-fit – meaning absolutely NO adhesives. Failure to comply will result in disqualification. Fitting is allowed for the steer show.
10. Stall assignments will be made by the barn superintendent. Exhibitors must clean their stalls; failure to comply will result in forfeiture of premiums.
11. Entry fees will not be refunded, but substitutions will be allowed.
12. A separate entry form must be submitted for each exhibitor; photocopy as necessary. Entries can also be printed off the Hereford America website. (www.herefordamerica.com/southdakota/juniors.htm)
Team Marketing: Teams will consist of 2-3 juniors with the age bracket determined by the oldest member of the team. Take your animal to the judge and attempt to “sell” it. Use pedigree information, performance information, and phenotype.
Speech: Prepare a speech related to the beef industry to give in front of an audience. Divided by age brackets in rule #8.
Obstacle Course: Maneuver your animal through an obstacle course in the best time.
*NEW* The Premier Exhibitor Award:
Saturday, June 21st
Send mail to
ESFherefords@aol.com with questions or comments about S.D. State Association.