South Dakota Junior Hereford Field
Grand Champion Cow/Calf Pair: Nicole Peckham,
Clark, SD with THR Miss Thor R5188 with a 2/17/07 calf, PKHM Miss Macy Mae T75
by CL1 Domino 9126J ET.
Grand Champion Bull: Paul Atkins, Tea, SD with AH
Yankee 10S, 3/5/06 by Remitall Online 122E.
Grand Champion Heifer & Overall Grand Champion
Heifer: Kris Fawcett, Ree Heights, SD with ECR Cover Girl 607, 4/4/06 by GO
Grand Champion Bred & Owned Heifer: Jody Hansen,
Comfrey, MN, with J&J Ms Direct Express 14, 9/27/05 by AT KMK 1222 Direct Line.
2007 SD Jr. Hereford Field Day Rules
1. Cattle must have approved health certificates.
2. Entry forms must be postmarked by June 12 in order to avoid paying late fees.
3. Registration certificates must accompany all animals at check-in. Tattoos must be readable or the subject animal will be disqualified. Baby calves entered in classes other than cow/calf pair must have registration papers.
4. Exhibitors must be paid members of the SDJHA.
5. Heifers and bulls must have been born after September 1, 2005 to compete.
6. Steers must have been born in 2006, have a steer certificate from the AHA unless purchased at the Excellence Sale, and have Hereford markings and color.
§ Steers and Owned Heifers must be owned by the junior exhibitor or the exhibitor’s immediate family.
§ Bred and Owned Heifers must be bred and owned by the junior exhibitor as specified on the registration certificate.
§ Bulls must be bred by the junior exhibitor or the exhibitor’s immediate family, and the exhibitor or family must retain an ownership interest.
§ Cow-Calf Pairs: the cow must be owned by the junior exhibitor or the exhibitor’s immediate family 30 days prior to the show. The cow must be registered; the calf need not be registered unless it is entered in heifer or bull classes.
8. Showmanship classes will be divided into age brackets as follows: Peewee 7-10; Junior 11-13; Senior 14-21. Age is as of January 1, 2007.
9. The heifer, bull, and cow/calf classes will be no-fit – meaning absolutely NO adhesives. Failure to comply will result in disqualification. Fitting is allowed for the steer show.
10. Stall assignments will be made by the barn superintendent. Exhibitors must clean their stalls; failure to comply will result in forfeiture of premiums.
11. Entry fees will not be refunded, but substitutions will be allowed.
12. A separate entry form must be submitted for each exhibitor; photocopy as necessary.
Photo: Photos can be anything pertaining to Herefords, pretty pictures or funny photos. Divided by age brackets in rule # 8. Photos must be framed or mounted on a board.
Team Marketing: Teams will consist of 2-3 juniors with the age bracket determined by the oldest member of the team. Take your animal to the judge and attempt to “sell” it. Use pedigree information, performance information, and phenotype.
Speech: Prepare a speech related to the beef industry to give in front of an audience. Divided by age brackets in rule #8.
Obstacle Course: Maneuver your animal through an obstacle course in the best time.
Achievement Award: Awarded to the high point individual based on the following chart:
1. Points will be given for only one entry in the each of the contests as well as the cattle show.
10 points are awarded for grand champion showman and 5 points for
Saturday, June 23rd
Send mail to
ESFherefords@aol.com with questions or comments about S.D. State Association.